Something sweet for Valentine’s Day
Everyone loves a cupcake and we have the perfect recipe to spoil someone special…
- 12 large strawberries
- 1 large egg + 2 egg whites, room temperature and separated
- 2 cups plain flour
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 180g unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup full cream milk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Slice 8 strawberries and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse until strawberries are a puree – you should have about 1/2 cup.
- Finely chop remaining strawberries.
- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the 3 egg whites on high speed in a medium bowl until soft peaks form – about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, cornflour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy – about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, beat, then add the egg yolk and vanilla – beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the milk until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold egg whites, 1/3 cup strawberry puree (keep the remaining puree aside for the icing), and finely chopped strawberries into the cupcake batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners halfway and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup (235g) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy – about 2 minutes.
- Add icing sugar, left-over strawberry puree, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add extra icing sugar if frosting is too thin or extra cream if frosting is too thick.
- Frost cupcakes.
At Southport Sharks we are excited to celebrate Valentine’s Day.