If you’re in need of some kitchen inspiration, Sharks Events Centre Sous Chef, Jayson King shares his recipe for Crispy Skin Tasmanian Ocean Trout with vongole, fennel and tomatoes.
- 4 x 150g Ocean Trout portions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon of toasted fennel seeds
- 500gm Vongole
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup micro cress
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a heated frypan. Once hot, add ocean trout skin side down. Hold each portion down for 30 seconds using a pallet knife to keep skin side flat. Cook for several minutes until skin becomes golden and crisp. Turn and cook other side, keeping the centre moist & glossy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to heated saucepan and add garlic. Cook for 20 seconds, then add onions and fennel seeds. Cook for several minutes until the onions become translucent, then add the vongole & sherry. Bring to boil, place lid on and cook for several minutes until all the vongole have opened.
- Remove from heat. Add diced tomatoes and parsley and season well.
- Present the crispy skin trout with the steamed open vongole, a couple spoonfuls of the broth and a scattering of micro cress.