Our very own Demi Chef, Leanne Doolan has created this indulgent and delicious Anzac slice recipe. Hailing from the gorgeous town of Merimbula on the southern NSW coast, Leanne has been with the Sharks family for 8 years, finishing her final two years of her apprenticeship here. She moved to the Gold Coast a decade ago, pursuing work opportunities. Working mainly with the Sharks Events Centre team, Leanne’s passion is for desserts. She has always been inspired by her grandmother, who she remembers whisking sponge cakes by hand. In true Anzac tradition, this slice pairs perfectly with a hot cuppa and great company!
- 125g butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar, well packed
- 1 cup (85g) desiccated coconut
- 1 1/4 cups (155g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Sprinkle of love
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius (adjust if required for your oven). Line an 18 x 28cm slice pan with baking paper (or lightly grease the pan).
- Melt butter in a pan with golden syrup and stir until combined.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking powder, then add brown sugar, oats and coconut.
- Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press firmly into a prepared pan using the back of a spoon or the bottom of a glass.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. The top should be lightly golden when ready.
- Coll in pan and cut into pieces.
- The extra tablespoon of golden syrup will make the slice chewier.
Please note the club’s Anzac Day opening hours:
Breakfast: 7am-10am (meals only)
Cafe: from 8:30am
Frenzy: from 12pm
Gaming: 1pm – 4am
Bars: 1pm – 2am