Letter from CEO, Dean Bowtell
(Updated Monday 8 June 2020)
On 22nd March 2020, the Federal Government imposed further restrictions on the community to improve our nation’s response to the COVID-19 virus.
As a community club servicing 47,000 members and employing 270 staff, we responded without hesitation to these new rules. Regrettably, the Club, Fitness Centre and Mantra at Sharks hotel were forced to temporarily close.
Clearly, the decision made by our government is in the interests of our nation and we fully support any measures undertaken to save people’s lives. Our club’s objective is now focused on an operational model that will not only withstand these restrictions but allow us to reopen all services and outlets in the future.
As a result of these restrictions, we have reviewed our business model and we’re excited to announce the re-opening of a select number of services and outlets (subject to government changes).
We commit to following the guidelines contained within the following Approved Industry COVID Safe Plans:
- Industry COVID Safe Plan for Queensland Hotels and Club, May 2020
- Industry COVID Safe Plan for Fitness Facilities
- Queensland Tourism and Accommodation Industry COVID Safe Plan, June 2020
During this unprecedented time, our empathy is with all our members, staff, contractors, consultants and stakeholders who have been affected by these events. It’s a tough period for everyone, however, we thank you for our continued support and patience during this time.
Please stay safe and healthy.
Chief Executive officer
Note: The Club will not be accepting vouchers, tier discounts or ACCESS points until further notice.
(Updated Friday 1 May 2020)
It’s been over a month since the club was locked down and not a day goes by without the thought of how important our members are for the Southport Sharks.
While the future remains uncertain regarding a re-opening date, please be assured we are well prepared to address the safety and well-being of our members, staff and local community.
This unprecedented chain of events has prompted many discussions on what life will be like post-lockdown and how businesses like the Sharks will adapt to the new ‘norm’. Soon, each member will receive a survey to assist the club in making some important decisions for how we operate in the future.
For our club to survive and adapt, we need to understand what matters most to our members, and for this reason, we’ll be seeking your input to support the future of Southport Sharks is not only sustainable but importantly meets your expectations.
We ask for your patience during this period of uncertainty and while there may be future events, promotions and entertainment modifications, we can assure you:
- All ACCESS Tier status levels will remain unchanged until April 2021 and we’ll be automatically upgrading members who were close to the next Tier
- ACCESS loyalty accounts and points balances have been frozen; therefore, you will not lose any points earned prior to the lockdown
- Expiry of ACCESS loyalty points have been extended to the end of December 2020
- Members who have missed out on celebrating their Birthday during the closure, will receive 60-days to use their vouchers after we reopen, are fully operational and government restrictions are lifted.
Please stay safe and healthy as our community weathers this storm together. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Chief Executive Officer